Research Innovation Business Unit (RIBU) was established on 1 May 2011 as a body responsible to manage:
- Intellectual Property of the University
- Creativity and Promotional activities
- Technology Transfer and Commercialisation
On the onset, the establishment of RIBU was only to act as a one stop reference centre for all the activities stated above. To strengthen activities relating to income generation for UiTM, beginning on 15 March 2017, the Consultancy unit was placed under RIBU and monitored by the Assistant Vice Chancellor ( Research Management and Innovation) UiTM.
- Planning, implementing and governing RIBU as a hub in intensifying and empowering activities of innovation and creativity, IP management and commercialisation of university researchers’ product/technology/invention.
- Sustaining a culture of innovation, creativity and commercialisation in UiTM.
- Enhancing IP management platform.
- Enhancing revenue generation by intensifying commercialisation activities through collaboration and effective communication to bridge the gap between University and industry.
Brief information on the main functions of RIBU
Basically, the main function of RIBU is to act as a one stop centre for the management of innovation & creativity activities, intellectual property protection and commercialisation of technology derived from the intellectual properties. Other than that, RIBU also acts as the intermediary and relations centre between the University and the industry. RIBU also is tasked to increase innovation and creativity activities, the number of IP’s granted for UiTM and also the generation of income through commercialisation activities and the creation of start-up companies. This is in line with the inspiration of the Vice Chancellor in his Amanat Tahun Baru 2013.